Friday, July 22, 2016

5k a day -- Day 8

Not gonna lie, I kinda phoned it in today.  I had the day off, and dedicated to board prep, so I slept in much later than normal.  By the time I woke up, it was well over 90 degrees and more muggy than two rats screwing in a wool sock.  I studied all day, then simply walked the 5k tonight.

And that's okay.  I don't have to want to do my challenge every day.  I just have to do it, especially on the days I don't feel like it.

So I did.  Wandered around the dark neighborhood in air so thick you could feel the weight of it pressing down on your shoulders.

The 5k:

5k in 1:11:53
23:11 min/mile average pace
Splits:  22:58/23:06/23:27/22:52

The Workout:

54 squats
60 seconds plank
17 modified push ups

A thought on squats:

I had always done wide-stance squats.  One day Paul volunteered to do my squats with me, and I noticed he was doing narrow based squats -- something it had never occurred to me to do.  After that, I wondered which was better, since they felt like they worked different muscles.  Instead of researching it like the scientist I am, I got lazy and decided just to split my squats half wide and half narrow.

Tonight I decided to do a little research on it.  And I found this link on bodybuilding.com basically saying that wide stance squats are more powerful, more versatile, safer, and all around better.  Other articles, like this one and this one say it depends on who you are, how you're built, and what your goals are.

So, for now, I guess I'll keep splitting them 50/50 as long as I can keep good form.

---
Part of 30 day challenges is calling it in if you have to.  As long as I do the minimum, I win.  So, I win. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment